Reserves is a collection of high demand or specialized materials (including course textbooks) set aside from our regular collections. Users wanting to borrow a reserve item must ask for it at the Library's Information Desk.
In order to ensure equal access to borrowers, special restrictions are placed on reserve materials:
- Limited loan periods, ranging from a couple of hours to one week.
- Renewals are not allowed.
- It is not possible to place a hold on a reserve
- Overdue charges are $0.50 / hour
Reserve material must be returned to a staff member at the library Information Desk.
Reserve Services for Faculty
Reserves make it easy to allow your class equitable access to a limited number of books or other physical items.
Instructors can ask for any item held by the library to be placed on reserve. They can also provide personal or department copies of resources for the reserve collection.
Reserves benefit students by ensuring that high demand readings, or other learning materials, are available to the maximum number of users. Reserves benefit instructors by providing control over materials and clear usage information.
Questions or comments regarding the Reserves service can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.284.8411.
Placing an Item on Reserve
New reserves will be available to students 2 business days after the material is received by the library.
The following guidelines apply to all reserve requests.
- Material will be held in reserves for no more than 1 year.
- A maximum of three copies of work or title will be placed on reserve.
- Reference materials and classroom Videos/DVDs cannot be placed in reserve.
- The library is unable to restrict use to a particular class.
Placing Non-Library Materials on Reserve
The library will accept materials belonging to instructors or academic departments in the Reserves collection, subject to the following guidelines.
- The library is not responsible for loss or damage to reserve materials.
- Materials must be originals or have proper copyright/licensing clearance.
- The library may, at our discretion, refuse to place certain materials on reserve.